To rate this resource, click a star:
Darwin and Wallace came up with the idea of natural selection, but their idea of how evolution occurs was not without predecessors.
This article is located within History of Evolutionary Thought.
UC Museum of Paleontology
This historical perspective will give students a glimpse of the people behind the science. A classroom discussion of this article may enhance student learning.
- Evolution results from natural selection acting upon variation within a population
- Organisms with similar requirements may compete with one another for limited resources.
- The number of offspring that survive to reproduce successfully is limited by environmental factors.
- Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence.
- Science is a human endeavor.