To rate this resource, click a star:
Understanding how science works allows one to easily distinguish science from non-science. Thus, to understand biological evolution, or any other science, it is essential to begin with the nature of science.
UC Museum of Paleontology
Student learning could be enhanced by classroom discussion in which the concepts in this lesson are applied to specific examples.
- Science focuses on natural phenomena and processes.
- The real process of science is complex, iterative, and can take many different paths.
- Scientists test their ideas using multiple lines of evidence.
- Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence.
- Accepted scientific theories are not tenuous; they must survive rigorous testing and be supported by multiple lines of evidence to be accepted.
- Science is a human endeavor.