To rate this resource, click a star:
Students analyze actual data from samples of microfossils collected from a particular locality. They use this data to infer water depths in the Miocene in order to locate potential petroleum reserves.
- Fossils provide evidence of past life.
- The sequence of forms in the fossil record is reflected in the sequence of the rock layers in which they are found and indicates the order in which they evolved.
- Scientists test their ideas using multiple lines of evidence.
- Scientists use fossils to learn about past life.
- Scientists can test ideas about events and processes long past, very distant, and not directly observable.
- Science is a human endeavor.