To rate this resource, click a star:
Students construct plausible scenarios using bank checks to learn how human values and biases influence observation and interpretation.
One class period.
Though there is no real evolution connection, this is a good activity to introduce or reinforce the nature of science.
Correspondence to the Next Generation Science Standards is indicated in parentheses after each relevant concept. See our conceptual framework for details.
- A hallmark of science is exposing ideas to testing. (P3, P4, P6, P7)
- Scientists can test ideas about events and processes long past, very distant, and not directly observable.
- Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence. (P4, P6, NOS3)
- Science is a human endeavor. (NOS7)
- Scientists may explore many different hypotheses to explain their observations. (P7)