Help shape the new Understanding Evolution! Take our short survey
to improve this site. You will be entered in a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card. Take survey now
Lesson summary for:
Evo in the news: Cheating cheetahs prosper
To rate this resource, click a star:
Biologists have discovered that female cheetahs consistently seek out multiple mates. This news brief, from July 2007, explains how the evolutionary implications of this behavior may help conservation efforts targeting these endangered animals.
UC Museum of Paleontology
Use this resource to relate evolutionary concepts to the topic of animal behavior (or get more suggestions for incorporating evolution throughout your biology syllabus). This article includes a set of discussion and extension questions for use in class. It also includes hints about related lessons that might be used in conjunction with this one. Get more tips for using Evo in the News articles in your classroom.
Correspondence to the Next Generation Science Standards is indicated in parentheses after each relevant concept. See our conceptual framework for details.
- Evolution results from natural selection acting upon genetic variation within a population.
- Natural selection and genetic drift act on the variation that exists in a population.
- Variation of a character within a population may be discrete or continuous.
- Inherited characteristics affect the likelihood of an organism's survival and reproduction.
- Traits that confer an advantage may persist in the population and are called adaptations.
- Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence.
- Scientists test their ideas using multiple lines of evidence.
- Our knowledge of the evolution of living things is always being refined as we gather more evidence.
- As with other scientific disciplines, evolutionary biology has applications that factor into everyday life, for example in agriculture, biodiversity and conservation biology, and medicine and health.
<< Back to search results