To rate this resource, click a star:
In this case study, students compare the genomes of MRSA and its genetic cousin MSSA to locate DNA differences and mobile elements that could be expected to improve the bacterium’s resistance to antibiotics and its ability to cause disease.
DNA to Darwin
The website where the case study is housed is mislabeled. There are MAC and PC versions of the adobe animation, but they are both labelled MAC. The second is for PCs.
Correspondence to the Next Generation Science Standards is indicated in parentheses after each relevant concept. See our conceptual framework for details.
- Evolution is still continuing today.
- An organism's features reflect its evolutionary history.
- Evolution can sometimes be directly observed.
- Evolution results from natural selection acting upon genetic variation within a population.
- As with other scientific disciplines, evolutionary biology has applications that factor into everyday life, for example in agriculture, biodiversity and conservation biology, and medicine and health.