“Survival of the fittest” means that the strong succeed, and the weak fail, right? Well, often that’s how it’s portrayed, but the real story is a bit trickier. Let’s take a closer look at what the crickets do…
- When it comes to crickets, what does fitness mean?
- Is calling good or bad for a cricket's fitness?
- Give some examples of selection at work in this cricket story.
- How does selection favor calling? How does selection favor not calling?
- Read about the concept of fitness in Evolution 101.
- Read about the process of sexual selection in Evolution 101.
Author and Artist:
Research and Editing:
Al Janulaw, Judy Scotchmoor, Tom Stidham, Anna Thanukos