- Kosal, Erica F.
- Classroom activity
Time: 1.5 to 2 hours
Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) is thought to be a precursor to HIV. This multi-part case study explores changes in SIV in different chimpanzee populations and how researchers use this information to test hypotheses about the origins of HIV.
- [History of life: Grades 13-16] Present-day species evolved from earlier species; the relatedness of organisms is the result of common ancestry.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 13-16] Similarities among existing organisms (including morphological, developmental, and molecular similarities) reflect common ancestry and provide evidence for evolution.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 13-16] Speciation is the splitting of one ancestral lineage into two or more descendant lineages.
- [Nature of science: Grades 13-16] A hallmark of science is exposing ideas to testing.
- [Studying evolution: Grades 13-16] Classification is based on evolutionary relationships.
There are no NGSS/DCI concepts currently linked to this resource.