- UC Museum of Paleontology
- Classroom activity
Time: One class period for initial set up. Approx. 10-15 minutes for daily observations.
Students will observe and conduct an experiment to see whether differences in salinity (the environment) have an affect on the hatching rate and survival of brine shrimp.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 3-5] Environmental changes may affect an organism's ability to survive. (LS4.B, LS4.C, LS4.D)
- [Nature of science: Grades 3-5] Scientific ideas may change with new evidence. (NOS3)
- [Nature of science: Grades 3-5] Scientists base their ideas on evidence from the natural world. (P3, P6, P7, NOS8)
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.B: Natural Selection
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.C: Adaptation
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.D: Biodiversity and Humans
- NOS Matrix understanding category 3. Scientific knowledge is open to revision in light of new evidence.
- NOS Matrix understanding category 8. Science addresses questions about the natural and material world.
- Science and Engineering Practice 6. Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Science and Engineering Practice 7. Engaging in argument from evidence