- UC Museum of Paleontology
- Online activity or lab
Time: One class period
In this interactive module students are introduced to fossils and the fossilization process by examining how fossils are formed and the factors that promote or prevent fossilization.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 6-8] Fossils provide evidence of past life. (LS4.A)
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 6-8] The sequence of forms in the fossil record is reflected in the sequence of the rock layers in which they are found and indicates the order in which they evolved. (LS4.A)
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientists can test ideas about events and processes long past, very distant, and not directly observable.
- [Studying evolution: Grades 6-8] Scientists use fossils to learn about past life. (LS4.A, ESS1.C)
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.A: Evidence of Common Ancestry and Diversity
- Disciplinary Core Idea ESS1.C: The History of Planet Earth
Level One is written for grades 5-8.