- Olson, Hilary
- Classroom activity
Time: 40-50 minutes
Students analyze actual data from samples of microfossils collected from a particular locality. They use this data to infer water depths in the Miocene in order to locate potential petroleum reserves.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 6-8] Fossils provide evidence of past life. (LS4.A)
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 6-8] The sequence of forms in the fossil record is reflected in the sequence of the rock layers in which they are found and indicates the order in which they evolved. (LS4.A)
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientists test their ideas using multiple lines of evidence.
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientists can test ideas about events and processes long past, very distant, and not directly observable.
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Science is a human endeavor. (NOS7)
- [Studying evolution: Grades 6-8] Scientists use fossils to learn about past life. (LS4.A, ESS1.C)
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.A: Evidence of Common Ancestry and Diversity
- Disciplinary Core Idea ESS1.C: The History of Planet Earth
- NOS Matrix understanding category 7. Science is a human endeavor.
There are currently no teaching tips for this resource.