- Peabody Museum of Natural History
Time: 4 minutes
This short video provides several examples of the practical applications of phylogenetics.
This resource is available from the Peabody Museum of Natural History.
- [Nature of science: Grades 9-12] Scientists use multiple research methods (experiments, observational research, comparative research, and modeling) to collect data. (P2, P3, P4, NOS1)
- [Nature of science: Grades 9-12] Science is a human endeavor. (NOS7)
- [Studying evolution: Grades 9-12] As with other scientific disciplines, evolutionary biology has applications that factor into everyday life.
- NOS Matrix understanding category 1. Scientific investigations use a variety of methods.
- NOS Matrix understanding category 7. Science is a human endeavor.
- Science and Engineering Practice 2. Developing and using models
- Science and Engineering Practice 4. Analyzing and interpreting data
This video would make a nice wrap-up to a unit on phylogenetics or a good introduction to an activity in which students explore a practical application of phylogenetics.