- UC Museum of Paleontology
- Classroom activity
Time: 30 minutes each for three sessions
In this lesson students attempt to assemble a meaningful sentence by successively turning over cards with words on them. The point is made that we change our ideas of what a story may be as we gather more information.
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientific knowledge is open to question and revision as we come up with new ideas and discover new evidence. (P6, NOS3)
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] A hallmark of science is exposing ideas to testing. (P3, P4, P6, P7)
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientists test their ideas using multiple lines of evidence.
- [Nature of science: Grades 6-8] Scientists can test ideas about events and processes long past, very distant, and not directly observable.
- NOS Matrix understanding category 3. Scientific knowledge is open to revision in light of new evidence.
- Science and Engineering Practice 4. Analyzing and interpreting data
- Science and Engineering Practice 6. Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Science and Engineering Practice 7. Engaging in argument from evidence