- UC Museum of Paleontology
Time: 20 minutes
Understanding the process of development can help us understand how some major evolutionary changes occurred and why others did not.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 13-16] Features sometimes acquire new functions through natural selection.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 13-16] Similarities among existing organisms (including morphological, developmental, and molecular similarities) reflect common ancestry and provide evidence for evolution.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 13-16] New heritable traits can result from mutations.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 13-16] Complex traits can arise through the cooption of another trait.
There are no NGSS/DCI concepts currently linked to this resource.
There are currently no teaching tips for this resource.