- UC Museum of Paleontology
- Evo in the News article
Time: 10 minutes
This news brief, from October of 2005, describes the discovery of an herbicide resistant weed in Britain and illustrates the relationship between genetic engineering and evolution.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 9-12] Inherited characteristics affect the likelihood of an organism's survival and reproduction. (LS4.B, LS4.C)
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 9-12] Traits that confer an advantage may persist in the population and are called adaptations. (LS4.B, LS4.C)
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 13-16] Inherited characteristics affect the likelihood of an organism's survival and reproduction.
- [Mechanisms of evolution: Grades 13-16] Traits that confer an advantage may persist in the population and are called adaptations.
- [Studying evolution: Grades 9-12] As with other scientific disciplines, evolutionary biology has applications that factor into everyday life.
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.B: Natural Selection
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.C: Adaptation
This article provides a nice link between biology concepts and practical/ethical issues facing our society. It could be used to motivate discussions of the merits and drawbacks of genetic engineering. This article also includes a set of discussion and extension questions, as well as links to related lessons that might be used in conjunction with this one. Get more tips for using Evo in the News articles in your classroom.
Additional teaching tips for 13-16:
Use this resource to relate evolutionary concepts to the topic of biotechnology (or get more suggestions for incorporating evolution throughout your biology syllabus).