- UC Museum of Paleontology
- Online activity or lab
Time: One class period.
A web-based module in which students gain a basic understanding of geologic time, the evidence for events in Earth's history, relative and absolute dating techniques, and the significance of the Geologic Time Scale.
- [History of life: Grades 3-5] Life has been on Earth for billions of years.
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 3-5] Fossils provide evidence of past life. (LS4.A)
- [Evidence of evolution: Grades 6-8] Fossils provide evidence of past life. (LS4.A)
- [Nature of science: Grades 3-5] Scientists base their ideas on evidence from the natural world. (P3, P6, P7, NOS8)
- [Studying evolution: Grades 3-5] Scientists study fossils and how and when they were formed. (LS4.A)
- [Studying evolution: Grades 3-5] Scientists study rocks and how and when they were formed.
- Disciplinary Core Idea LS4.A: Evidence of Common Ancestry and Diversity
- NOS Matrix understanding category 8. Science addresses questions about the natural and material world.
- Science and Engineering Practice 6. Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Science and Engineering Practice 7. Engaging in argument from evidence
Appropriate for 5th grade with some teacher guidance.